Mellat Park is located in the north of Tehran. This park is constrained to jame Jam Street from north, to Niayesh Street from south, to Valiasr Avenue from south and to Seol Avenue from west (Enqelab club).
Before the Revolution of 1979, it was known as Shahanshahi Park of the King of Kings. It is one of the largest recreation areas in Tehran, situated at the foot of the Alborz mountains adjacent to Valiasr Street in the east, and extends to the Chamran Expressway (Parkway) and Seoul Street to the west. The park lies in the southern grounds of Tehran International Fair and Enghelab Club.
It is also the location of one of the steam-powered locomotives used on the first Iranian railway section built during 1886-1888. The No. 664 locomotive was built by the Belgian Ateliers de Tubize and commissioned on 1887.
Mellat Park is considered as one of the biggest parks in Tehran with an area of 34 hectares whose irregular design has been done by someone called Possen in style of English parks.
About 120 species of trees, shrub and fruit trees exist in this park.
Restaurant, cafe, bathrooms, two fountains, cafe, ping pong play ground, two skate fields, five children playgrounds, chess house, lake with sailing facilities, aviaries, wildlife enclosure in which diverse species are kept are all located in the park.
One of the attractions of the park is the first diesel locomotive known as smoky train that is placed on its rails in the western part of the park (this diesel on which the 1887 date is written is the first train which was used between Tehran and Shah Abdol Azim shrine in Naser al-Din Shah Era.
This park is home to the first musical fountains in Tehran. Since July 2008, they attract and entertain many families at night
It is watered by the winter-snow streams coming down from Mount Tochal close to 4,000 m high.